Tuesday, November 18, 2008

066.

Elliott Smith: Going Nowhere.

My love for Elliott Smith will never die, even when it reminds me of some happy times that I miss and some sad times as well. For instance, Luke called me and sang me "Angel in the Snow" and we used to listen to the New Moon album everytime we drove somewhere. Another memory is of Syd's mom and I listening to Elliott Smith on cassette and crying when "Everything Reminds Me of Her" came on. I love just laying and listening and thinking, even if it makes me revisit hard times.

He waved hello silent like a mime. We met, there's no changing my mind. I won't walk the stairs with you tonight, going nowhere. The clock moved a quarter of a turn, the time it took a cigarette to burn. She said you got a lot of things to learn, going nowhere. Saw you move a certain way. Missed you a lot. Return to this abandoned place, should a been forgot. Echoes drown the conversation out. Echoes that only seem to bring about a silent expression. Things you may allow going nowhere. The steps made a pattern I'd never seen. I felt like a kid of six or seventeen. I was off in some empty day dream, going nowhere. It's dead and gone matter of fact, maybe for the best. Said some things you can't take back honestly I guess. The old records sitting on the floor, the ones I can't put on anymore. He walked over to her like before, going nowhere.

No comments: